Staying in Liverpool over the summer? Starting, continuing or finishing your research and looking to improve it further? PGR Development is running a Summer School of events throughout July aimed at Postgraduate Researchers across all three faculties. There will be 18 sessions, ranging from 1 hour to a whole-day. They will cover a broad perspective of topics aimed at postgraduate researchers. From planning an initial research proposal and understanding finance applications, to publishing your finished work, Summer School sessions are ideal for PGRs at any stage in their research.
The sessions will be delivered by University of Liverpool academic staff as well as an extensive variety of external speakers and professionals, which will make for a thorough and diverse array of workshops, both in terms of content, objectives and delivery. We welcome speakers from various backgrounds, including professional training consultancies, published academics and educators in the arts, humanities and sciences, and even Broadway actors and speech delivery specialists.
The Summer School will start on 8th July, and run through until the 26th. See below for a full list of sessions and deliverers, and a link to our booking system with further, in-depth descriptions of individual session objectives and learning outcomes.
The Summer School is open to all PGRs at the University of Liverpool; but please note that places for sessions are limited and will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. This series of workshops, seminars and focus groups presents students from every discipline and research area with an excellent opportunity to further enhance your projects and professional and academic capabilities.
Summer School Events:
(Click on title to go to booking form)
Monday 8/7/13 10:30 – 13:00 Research Dissemination and KE (Dr Maria Flynn) FULL
• Tuesday 9/7/13 10:00 – 11:00 Planning and Writing a Research Proposal (Dr Paul Knox) FULL
• Wednesday 10/7/13 09:30 – 12:30 Collaboration (Dr Peter Kahn) SPACES LEFT
• Wednesday 10/7/13 14:00 – 15:00 Copyright, Open Access and Electronic Theses (Martin Wolf) SPACES LEFT
• Thursday 11/7/13 10:00 – 13:00 Principles of Research Finance (Dr Vanessa Sluming) SPACES LEFT
• Thursday 11/7/13 14:00 – 17:00 Identifying Funding Sources (Dr Vanessa Sluming) SPACES LEFT
• Monday 15/7/13 10:00 – 12:00 Structuring Argument (Dr Richard Hinchcliffe) FULL
• Monday 15/7/13 14:00 – 16:00 Time and Project Management (Dr Richard Hinchcliffe) FULL
• Tuesday 16/7/13 10:00 – 16:00 Women in Academia (Dr Aimee Blackledge) FULL
• Wednesday 17/7/13 09:30 – 12:30 Creating a Map to Research Success (Dr Nathan Ryder) FULL
• Wednesday 17/7/1313:30 – 17:00 Creativity in Research (Dr Nathan Ryder) FULL
• Thursday 18/7/13 09:00 – 12:00 Intellectual Property (Dr Charley Ward) SPACES LEFT
• Thursday 18/7/13 13:00 – 15:00 Intercultural Communication (Dr Aimee Blackledge & Dr Anna Chen) SPACES LEFT
• Monday 22/7/13 10:00 – 17:00 Public Speaking and Communication Skills for Academics (Steve Clarke – Speakeasy) FULL
• Tuesday 23/7/13 10:00 – 17:00 Public Speaking and Communication Skills for Academics (Steve Clarke – Speakeasy) BOOKING NOW OPEN – SPACES LEFT
• Tuesday 23/7/13 09:30 – 16:30 Quality Papers (Dr Pete Moore – Thinkwrite) FULL
• Wednesday 24/7/13 09:30 – 16:30 My Thesis (Dr Pete Moore – Thinkwrite) FULL
• Thursday 25/7/13 09:30 – 16:30 Writing Targeted Grants (Dr Pete Moore – Thinkwrite) FULL
• Friday 26/7/13 13:00 – 16:30 Building a Successful Academic Career (Dr Jen Allanson) FULL