PGR Development are keen to launch a new interdisciplinary public engagement forum that will link the research community with the general public across the city of Liverpool. As an inaugural event, we have arranged for a PGR to deliver a talk at the University of Liverpool Pop-up Shop in Liverpool One. Why not take a break on Wednesday and come down to hear more about the forum and support the innovative research that is taking place at the University. The talk is for 20 minutes with an opportunity for questions and answers following. Cold drinks will be available.
Wednesday 9 July 2014
20 Manesty’s Lane (located by the Dr Marten’s and Fred Perry in Liverpool One) Map
‘A Huge Wave of Zombies is Approaching’: A study of the cultural metaphors of zombies used in audio-visual media, Jemima Cloud, Department of Music
Why is our modern culture obsessed with zombies? It was once vampires, now we are inundated with the other type of ‘undead’ . We’ll be exploring this cultural phenomenon and asking questions about what zombies mean to our modern culture, what they suggest about class, race and sexuality.
Following the talk we will be on-hand to discuss what type of forum and social events you would like to foster at the University of Liverpool. If you are interested in learning more about how public engagement can:
- improve the quality and impact of your research
- build trust, understanding and collaboration with the public
- challenge assumptions, sharpen thinking and inject energy
- develop skills that can aid your employment and promotion prospects
- increase your relevance to, and impact on, society
- provide additional sources of information, knowledge and expertise
- offer new perspectives on research
- raise your profile as a researcher
then come along and help shape an exciting new series of events!