Seeking extra support with your career planning?
To advance your career planning, as part of the Liverpool Doctoral College Development programme, we are offering two opportunities for you to gain dedicated support as you consider your options after the PhD, a one day PGR ‘Career Ready’ Bootcamp and 1:1 Coaching/Career Clinics. All sessions will be delivered by Sally Beyer who has specialised career coaching experience. Sally will be familiar to many of you from our careers half day workshops and careers webinars.
PGR ‘Career Ready’ Bootcamp Thurs, 13 June 2019, 09:15 – 16:00
This one-day interactive workshop is aimed for Post Graduate Researchers in the final year before completion. Wherever you are at in your career thinking and planning, you will find this intensive, fun workshop beneficial.
This workshop will help you meet the following objectives:
equipped with new skills for managing your career
• Assess your current situation – your strengths and areas to focus on related to work opportunities
• Identify what you really want to get from your professional life
• Build a clear picture of what you want to be doing post PhD
• Explore the importance of personal effectiveness and impact on others when working towards your goals, i.e. your confidence, self-belief and proactivity
• Recognise how networking can help you get to where you want to be
• Discuss job searching in an ever-changing work environment
• Get feedback on your current CV
• Set goals and actions for your future
Be inspired to make your own luck, create exciting opportunities for yourself and set sail!
‘Great session for thinking about career goals and for putting in place a plan of action for career planning/preparation.’
‘An engaging workshop to get you thinking about your career options. Very thorough and really helpful!’
Participants March 2019
1:1 Coaching/Career Clinics
The one hour face-to-face coaching sessions are designed to help you with your career preparation and they are open to all PGRs at any stage in their degree. The session is completely confidential and may be followed with a further follow-up session by Skype, if required.
These sessions will provide focused and tailored support with issues such as:
- Equipping you to create effective application forms, CVs, personal statements and cover letters for specific roles you are applying for
- Preparing for interview (including carrying out mock interviews and providing feedback)
- Making a positive impact within interviews/presentations – e.g. Influencing others and harnessing nerves and anxiety
- Discussing career issues, e.g. expansion of your network for career success, choosing options
- How to harness change as you move on from your PhD
- Helping you think through self-employment, if this is a consideration.
Registration for the 1:1 Coaching/Career Clinics –Please complete the short form on the above link to provide some initial information for registration and send this, using your University of Liverpool email address to Sally Beyer, email@example.com.
NB Your University of Liverpool email address will be used for identification.
The sessions are offered on a first-come-first-served basis and are limited to the first 10 applicants.
Pre-session coaching form-On receiving the form, Sally will contact you and send a further pre-session coaching form provide her with information to help her best prepare for your coaching session. Your booking will only be confirmed on completion of this pre-session form.
About your Coach: Sally is a Careers and Learning & Development professional with over 23 years’ experience of training and coaching people from all walks of life. Along with working for two local Universities, Sally has worked with many private and public organisations delivering career management support to help staff at all levels to achieve their full potential.
To find out more about Sally please take a look at her LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sally-beyer/.