The LDC Development Team are offering two events for new researchers during September. If you are a newly arrived postgraduate researcher and want to hit the ground running with your PhD, then join us for an opportunity to discuss ideas, meet other researchers from across the University and learn how to make the most of your time during your PhD.
Webinar: What to expect and what to do early in the PhD 23 September, 12:30-13:30
Our first event is an hour-long webinar that focuses on helping you feel less daunted during the first few months of a PhD. This webinar aims to give support to those just starting their PhD, with information on the essentials and guidance on what to expect in the first few months. Specifically we will offer discuss the following topics:
- Settling in to your Department/Institute
- Finding essential support
- The supervisory relationship
- Managing your training and Development
- Good practice in your research There will be time to ask questions about any aspect of the PhD process and share your experiences with other new researchers.
There will be time to ask questions about any aspect of the PhD process and share your experiences with other new researchers.
Workshop: Taking Ownership of your PhD 26 September, 9:15-6:30
Our second event is a workshop, which has been a quintessential starting point for postgraduate researchers at the University of Liverpool for several years. This one-day workshop offers new researchers the opportunity to explore how to take ownership of the PhD. Through discussions and activities, you will identify the milestones and planning processes involved in pursuing a PhD and learn how to successfully work with your supervisor. You will also have an opportunity to introduce your research to fellow researchers and plan personal objectives in order to achieve your longer-term professional ambitions. In this workshop you will:
- Gain a greater understanding of the processes and milestones in the PhD by creating a project plan for the PhD
- Identify the opportunities for your own professional development to achieve longer terms goals and become a successful researcher
- Gain a greater understanding of how you can improve and develop the supervisory relationship
- Network with other PhD researchers to gain a wider understanding of the research environment
The highly experiential format for this workshop offers many opportunities to share your own experiences and gain advice from other PGRs.
And in October…
You might also like to join us for: Webinar: Effectively Using the PGR Toolbox 1 October 2019, 12:30-13:30
This webinar helps newly registered PGRs make effective use of the PGR Toolbox in Liverpool Life. The webinar offers a:
- brief introduction to the Institutional requirements
- demonstration of how to use the Record of Supervisory Meetings, how to arrange meetings with your supervisors, set an agenda and targets, upload documents, and send Outlook appointments to your supervisors
- demonstration of how to use the PGR Portfolio of Activity, how to record your training activities, email your portfolio to your supervisor, how to print your portfolio for compiling your CV
- Opportunity to ask questions and raise any queries or problem you have had using the software
Unable to attend?
Don’t worry, we will be running more of these sessions throughout October and November. However, places fill up fast, so don’t miss out on booking your place. Visit our website for further details: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/pgr-development/offering/catalogue/
We look forward to meeting you and learning more about your research at one of our upcoming events!