A new series of online workshops for researchers in the first few months of their PhD.
For new researchers we offer a series of half day workshops presented online in Zoom. Each workshop may be taken on its own, but together they will support you to take ownership of your own PhD. Collectively the series includes:
- Advice to settle into the PhD in the first few months to an activity to help you envisage the whole PhD
- Guidance to manage your own working time and support to build a good working relationship with your supervisor
- Ways to build your resilience for the challenges in research and take a professional approach to your own development
- Starting your networking and gaining practice in introducing your research to your peers
All workshops in the ‘Taking Ownership’ series are discussion based and include opportunities to network with other researchers from across the University. The use of a microphone and webcam are recommended for use in the small group discussions
These workshops will be delivered by Dr Shirley Cooper, from the LDC Development team, working with PGR tutors, who will share their own experiences of doing a PhD at the University.
We also offer a further webinar on how to effectively the software in the PGR Toolbox.
The full timetable for these workshops is listed below. The workshops in October are open for registration (follow the link on the title)
- Oct 6 10:00 – 12:15 Taking ownership of your PhD 1: Starting the PhD
- Oct 14 10:00 – 12:15 Taking ownership of your PhD 2: Project management
- Oct 20 10:00 – 12:15 Taking ownership of your PhD 3: Networking as a researcher
- Oct 22 10:00 – 1100 Webinar: Effectively using the PGR Toolbox
- Oct 28 10:00 – 12:15 Taking ownership of your PhD 4: Time-management in the PhD
- Nov 3 10:00 – 12:15 Taking Ownership of your PhD 1 Starting the PhD,
- Nov 10 13:00 – 1515 Taking Ownership of your PhD 2 Project Management of the PhD
- Nov 12 13:30 – 14:30 Webinar: Effectively Using the PGR Toolbox
- Nov 18 13:00 – 1515 Taking Ownership of your PhD 5 Working with your supervisor
- Nov 24 13:00 – 1515 Taking Ownership of your PhD 6 Developing as a researcher
- Dec 2 13:00 – 1515 Taking Ownership of your PhD 7 Surviving the PhD
- Dec 9 13:00 – 1515 Taking Ownership of your PhD 3 Networking as a researcher
Places will be limited. If you book and find that you can no longer attend, please cancel your place so that it can become available to another researcher.